Monday, October 13, 2008

I'm a nooby booby!

One of the things I have noticed while playing the game is the attitudes of the regular players.

You have to be in THE BEST gear, have the BEST spell rotation, have THE BEST pet/minion, and OMGWTFBBQ THE BEST spec. I have always thought this was a big pile of stinky horse poo. Seriously. But it has merit. You want to be the best because you want to have fun.

I learned this lesson very recently.

I spent an entire weekend getting better gear for my warlock after noticing she would place at the bottom of every DPS chart during instances. And PvP? LOL! Yeah. NOT. COOL. So I farmed Sacrlet Monastery, and power leveled my tailoring a good bit. Suddenly, she was topping mages and paladins and breaking aggro left and right. I started to have so much fun.

Now, breaking aggro annoys tanks and pisses off healers. It's not fun to have three elites wave away the tank and come rushing up to smash your brains in. So I, once again, farmed some more gear and lowered my bonus spell damage a bit. You see, I was only using my DOTs and Drain Life along with my Imp's fire bolt. WHAT was I doing WRONG?

I still don't know. >.>

I still break aggro. Though now I think it's a lot to do with grouping with a warrior tank versus a paladin tank. So I blame them. I'm just an innocent warlock... *whistles*



Moral:
Even if you don't have the best everything your choice in tanks makes a difference!

3 comments:

Funeral said...

Your first step should be waiting a little bit before you launch those DoT's. While it's fun to go from the bottom of damage meters to the top you're essentially failing at your job every time you do this.

Give the tank a little bit more time to build up some aggro, then go into your attack. You'll still rank high on the damage and in the long run you'll end up being more well liked by your group.

Tanking is a thankless and stressful job, the only thing worse than a healer who isn't paying attention is when a DPS class keeps pulling. Good job on recognizing you need to work on it and not blaming the tank though.

Toie said...

Yes, I agree! I learned this while soloing with my Voidwalker. While the Voidwalker is a laughable tank compared to a warrior or tankadin it works soloing. I love my blueberry!

I have noticed that I break aggro the most when I start up a Drain Life. I guess that combined with my DoTs hurts more than a sword and board.

I am still working on conrolling my outbursts. lol DPS is so much more easy than Tanking or Healing, I believe, but it takes skill to learn how to be a real, and good!, team mate.

Today I ran through Sunken Temple and only pulled aggro on some addons that hadn't yet been hit by the tank and were running after everyone breathing anyway.

Sidian said...

You should try using omen to track your aggro; it's a threatmeter that'll warn you when you're about to pull aggro off the tank. It only works well if that tank has it too, of course, but most people seem to.

Like funeral said, DPSers pulling aggro off the tank are a major headache not only for the tank and healer but for the other DPSers too, as while the tank isn't being hit their threat level can plummet due to lack of rage, blocks for revenge or retaliation aggro that paladins rely on.

That said, your class will be making it hard not to now that you've good gear - I've played quite a few DPS classes and warlock is by far the most threat-y. ^^; I'd just suggest waiting a few seconds before starting to attack to grant your tank some threat-gaining time and then holding back on the damage. Make sure you don't stick DoTs on secondary targets pre-emptively unless the tank okays it - quite often the early threat you'll get from doing that will reduce the amount you can do without pulling threat once the primary target is down.

Gratz on the gear, though, and good luck in future instances. ^^